2009-05-12

A nice quiet bday

I'm afraid that I went through a bit of a cranky mood last night. A couple friends were asking how I was going to celebrate my birthday, and I got a little frustrated and let the pessimist take over. Everything that made me happy, I'd lost in the past year. There was nothing to celebrate.

[As a side note, though, my friend came over and helped me reset my whole wireless network, getting me a step closer to setting up an FTP site. That was the bestest present. :)]

Anyway, I woke up early and in a more neutral, non-murderous mood. I just wanted some quiet me time, so I decided to go to Deep Cove. It was gloomy, so I dawdled leaving the house, but by the time I arrived, the sun was out.

I love that the walk itself seems different every time. Benefits of a failing memory, haha. I just enjoyed the smell of the wet trail, the trees, the creeks along the way.

As I was nearing the end of the trail, I became aware of a tapping sound. I thought it might be sounds of construction that got carried into the forest, but I started scanning the trees. Sure enough, I saw a woodpecker tapping away at a tree! I could only see its red mohawk and a bit of white neck, so I'm guessing it's a pileated woodpecker. I tried moving to snap a picture, but then it was gone. :(

I stood quietly to see if the woodpecker might reappear, and while waiting, I heard a low drone. Flitting around a couple trees away was a hummingbird! It was a plump little thing, not very tiny (but still smaller than my fist). It wasn't bright aqua, green and red, like you often see in pictures, more like a female Mallard duck. But it was still a wondrous sight to see. :) It's just too bad I didn't get a pic of it, either! Bugger.

Anyhow, after the trail, I wandered a neat shop at Deep Cove (had fun ice cube trays and party ware, among other fun stuff), then tried out a what-I-thought-was-new sushi place near home.

But the woodpecker and the hummingbird were what made everything okay. :)

昨晚心情有點差。 有幾位朋友問我要如何慶祝我生日 我就開始frustrated,開始悲觀。 在過去的這一年,我失去了所有使我快樂的。 根本沒有什麼好慶祝的

[不過,我朋友昨晚有來我家,重新設了我的無線網路,讓我更進一步設 FTP站。 這可是最棒的禮物。 :)]

今天早上起床的時候,心情就比較正常了,沒那麼兇殘。 想要自己安靜一下,所以決定去 Deep Cove。 天氣陰陰的,有點拖著出門,但我到了那邊的時候,太陽就已經出來了。

每次去那邊走走,感覺都不一樣,我很喜歡。 可能是年紀大了,記憶力變差的好處吧,哈哈。 我就慢慢享受 Deep Cove 下過雨的小道,的樹,小溪。

快到重點的時候,我聽見輕敲的聲音。 本來以為是附近施工的聲音,但仔細看附近的樹。 結果,的確有一隻啄木鳥敲敲敲著樹! 只看得到牠的紅色摩霍克髮型和白色的頸子,但我猜是大啄木鳥。 我試著走近一點拍照,但牠就不見了。 :(

我靜靜地等著,看牠會不會再出現。 然後就聽到一個低沈的嗡嗡響聲。在前方輕快地飛有一隻蜂鳥! 牠肥嘟嘟的,小小的 (雖然不是及小,但還是比拳頭小)。 牠沒有顯眼的色彩,不像常看到的照片裡的藍,水綠,綠,紅色。 不過,還是覺得很驚奇。 但還是沒拍到! 真可惜!

走完之後就去逛那邊附近的小店,然後去我家附近的壽司店吃午餐。

能見到啄木鳥和蜂鳥真是我的福氣,讓我很開心。

2 comments:

'Brush and Bel said...

Happy Birthday for the other day. :)

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :D I had a quiet bday day too...it was myself, a nature trail, warm thoughts, a few water stryders..peacefully dancing on a lake...a family of ducks..5 white swans...the day ended with a beautiful, clear sky, sunset..followed by a blanket of bright stars looking back at me.. :) ...the hummingbird & woodpecker would have been a treat to observe :) It was a quiet..yet a good day :) HAPPY BIRTHDAY!