2009-05-04

Dressed to the nines

My dad and I put together bags of clothing for donation, and in the bags was a long coat of my mom's, pictured right. My dad had told me about it a few months back.

My mom made this coat. Yes, one of her many talents. Waaaay back when my dad was studying in the States, and before any of us were born. My mom was really, really excited: they were going to go to Las Vegas. So my dad went with her to pick out a pattern, and my mom worked on this project for many nights, all spread out on the kitchen floor. (And this would've been after a long day of waitressing!)

And then she wore it once. The night they went to a show in Vegas. And it's been in the closet for the 30+ years since.

The coat is beautifully made, with lining and everything. The pattern is a little loud for my tastes, but I'm sure it was perfect back in the '70s. It doesn't fit me anyway (I'm a little broader in the shoulders and back)....

I hope that someone else will enjoy it, because it was made with a lot of TLC. :)

我和我爸整理了幾袋舊衣服,準備要捐給慈善團體。 其中的袋子裡面有我媽的一件長外套。 我爸幾個月前跟我講了它的故事。

那件大衣是我媽親手做的。 手藝很好吧。 很久以前,我爸在美國讀書的時候,我們都還沒出生。 我媽非常的興奮:他們有計畫要去拉斯維加斯。 我爸帶她去挑紙樣,然後我媽連續好幾夜撲著廚房的地板在做她的project。(而且是餐廳裡工作了一天之後!)

結果她那件大衣只穿了一次。 就他們去看show的那一夜。 從此就吊在衣櫥,吊了三十多年。

那件大衣做得很漂亮,還有內襯喔。 花樣當然比較鮮亮,但它是經典70年代的顏色。 不過我穿不下;肩膀背部比較我媽寬 (更不用說三十多年前的她!)。

希望別人能好好享受,因為那件大衣可是我媽用很多愛心做出來的。 :)

3 comments:

Ben said...

:-)

I never knew that story!

Aaron said...

That's pretty cool. And she probably never thought about "just wore it once". She needed it, she made it.

Anonymous said...

Might be worth keeping it...