2009-05-09

Have a little consideration

My dad and I went to see my mom this morning, a day-early Mother's Day visit. As we were sending our thoughts to her and offering fruits, a group of Chinese were there talking, laughing, and being oblivious to the fact that other people were around. Seriously? It's a mausoleum!

This example was the latest in a series of observations that when Chinese people congregate, they become loud and noisy and are inconsiderate of others. They tend to go off in their own little world and forget that their own little world is disturbing other people, and that maybe 40dB is an inappropriate volume for a place where others are visiting their late loved ones.

And when I say "Chinese," I'm not distinguishing among those from China, from Taiwan, from HK... I mean Chinese descent.

Oh, and while I'm venting about Chinese people: when you migrate to a new place, make some attempt to assimilate and learn the ways of your new home. While society does help new immigrants adapt to their new environments, we don't bend the society to suit your every need. We didn't ask you to come. So at least try to learn a few words of the language, and maybe don't bring all your bad driving, spitting and litterbug habits from the old country.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not against immigrants. I'm against immigrants who are here to freeload, and don't make any attempts to adapt to society. I'm sure that there are other ethnics who fall into that category, but Vancouver sure has a lot of Chinese types of those.

Make a little effort here. Have some consideration for the people around you.

我和我爸今天早上去看我媽,提早一天去祝她母親節快樂。 結果,當我們在拜她的時候,有一群華人在旁邊聊天,笑,完全不知道吵到別人。 真是的,在陵墓耶!

這個範例只是最近發生的。 已經就以來發現當華人聚在一起的時候,真的很吵,一點都不考慮到別人。 他們聊自己的,都不想到他們會打擾到人家。 很沒禮貌。 我指華人不分大陸的,台灣的,或香港的...。

既然在抱怨華人:當你移民到一個地方,是不是該試著適應一下,學學新家的習俗。 雖然社會會幫助新移民的人來適應新環境,我們不為了你而把社會折灣來配合你每個需求。 我們又沒逼你來。 所以至少試著學幾句話來溝通吧,還有不要把駕駛,吐痰和亂扔垃圾的壞習慣待過來吧。

請別誤會:我可不反對移民喔。 我只是討厭那些來享受這裡的福利,不勞而獲的人,那些一點都不試圖適應新社會的人。 我相信有很多其他種人也會這樣,不過溫哥華這種華人可多了。

1 comment:

'Brush and Bel said...

Nice vent! If you were a Starbucks coffee size, you would be a Venti! :)