2005-11-17

Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream.

I like to think that I'm a good listener. People seem to open up to me, tell me their problems, their secrets, their fears. And since I think talking and venting is good for one's health, I've always offered my "services" if I sense a friend in need of an ear.

One person took me up on the offer. We used to be very good friends before we went our separate ways, and I hadn't talked to him in quite a while, other than a passing "hi". But that night, we talked for 2 hours. And at the end of the call, he said to me, just as he always did, "Good night. Sweet dreams." Sweet dreams. A sign-off that only he ever used with me, back when we were close.

It caught me a little off guard, and I instinctively replied, "Yep. G'night." (I know, I know, don't roll your eyes at me!). As I pressed End on my phone, it came back to me. That familiar greeting that I had heard almost nightly.

And I smiled.

No comments: