2004-08-20

Beautiful British Columbia

My Aussie friend was in town, so I took her on my favourite drive of all time: the Sea-to-Sky Highway. I. love. that. drive.

I love how the road curves, snaking alongside the mountains. I love the water just below, at the bottom of a 50-foot drop. Little islands dotting the ocean water. Trees galore. I love the esses that show you sunshine and shade and sunshine again, all within 3 minutes of driving. I love the feeling of crisp, clean air filling my lungs.

I love the splendor with which Nature graces us. The green of trees, the blue of sky and water, the white of snow-capped mountains in the distance, the grey of rocky cliffs.

I love the peace of the drive. Usually because you're on your way to a weekend getaway, or have just had a relaxing one. Even in the dead of night, it's a fantastic drive that makes you feel free.

And then, if you need a break from all that wonderfulness every so often, there are little sites along the way: Porteau Cove, Shannon Falls, Alice Lake, and my all-time favourite Brandywine Falls. Places to picnic, to gaze at waterfalls and lakes, to wade and wet your feet, to feel like you are on vacation. And then you return to a relaxing drive.

What's not to love!

PS - This drive is also fabulous from the passenger seat of a Porsche Boxster with its top down.

No comments: