2004-07-30

Pop a cherry

Nectarines topped my list of fruit about a month ago, but now my favourites are cherries. Not just any cherries. Big-a$$ Okanagan cherries.

If you have never tasted Okanagan fruit in all their summer glory, you are truly missing out. I kid you not. The warmth of the BC Okanagan region makes for the most fabulous apples, oranges, peaches, nectarines, cherries, you name it. And if you're anywhere near the area, there are kajillions of fruit stands along the roads selling their wares at dirt-cheap prices. Okay, that's my bit for Tourism BC.

So anyway, back to the cherries. I like to munch when I'm working, so I bought a 3-lb box (~1.3kg) of cherries for 9.00CAD. Ginormous, plump plump plump cherries. Massive, way-too-big-for-its-stem cherries. I can just encircle them with my thumb and forefinger. Huge. a$$. cherries. Practically mutant, I tell ya. The farmers probably watered the cherry orchards with green apple sparkling soda. (Aside: Why the h#ll is it soda?? They're a Canadian company. Pop.) Try chopping that tree down, George.

The great thing about these mammoth cherries is that the size of the cherry pit is still the same, so all that extra mass is sweet sweet cherry meat! Sweet chunk of cherry. And after I'm done with the flesh, I like to suck on the pit, roll it around in my mouth, bite on it, while I think. By the time I spit it out, the cherry pit is polished clean. An all-around fantastic fruit.

And damn yummy.

No comments: