2004-09-21

Breathing smog

It hasn't even been a week that I've been in Taipei, and I'm already tired of the city smog. It's disgusting. At the end of the day, when you blow your nose, you can see just how much crap you're breathing in. (The "fog" in the picture is actually smog.)

It's also hot and humid here. Taking 3 or 4 showers a day isn't unusual. I pretty much have a quick rinse after any outing.

I get up by 07:30 or 08:00, because it's already light out and at that time the temperature is just right. But darkness falls around 18:30 or so, which makes the day feel "over" already, so we're usually in bed by 22:00, 23:00 at the latest. How odd to shift from my typical 11:00-04:00 hours to a 07:30-22:00 schedule.

My brother K is about 2 hours away by bus/coach. It isn't too inconvenient, and cheap enough for him to come to Taipei almost every weekend, which is nice, because one can only spend so much time alone with one's mother.

Food is ... cheap. And pretty good, for the most part. My mother and I can eat a decent lunch on about 120NT (< 5.00CAD); breakfast costs us about 3.00CAD all together. It's almost cheaper and more convenient just to eat out or buy take-out than it is to prepare something ourselves from scratch.

They have more 7-Elevens here than in Vancouver, heheh: there's one at least every 2 blocks. Definitely a convenience store!

I'm slowly getting used to the heat and everything, but it's going to take me some time. Mostly, I'm itching for "proper" Internet access!

No comments: