2004-09-12

27 years in a suitcase

My departure date is approaching fast, but I don't know what to pack.

Last week, I was nervous that I wouldn't have enough luggage space to start my new life. I had started scoping out other channels of sending stuff over: "Oh, J&Co. will be visiting in mid-Oct? Hmm, what can they bring for me ...." "Second Aunt and Fourth Aunt are coming to Vancouver in late Oct? Great, I'll leave a package for them to bring back!"

I pulled out the suitcases we had in the storage closet and negotiated the most luggage space of what was available. Some days ago, I brought the big red suitcase down from the hallway (where it'd been waiting for me for weeks) and placed it downstairs, open, so I'd have room to pack.

And there it sits - empty.

For some reason, I have no idea where to start. Staring at the huge vacancy, I have no idea with what I'm going to fill all that space.

So I began putting stuff near the suitcase when I passed or thought of anything. I brought my boots in, some shoes, my rollerblades. I seem to be accumulating more and more fragile items (ice wine, mugs, bowls) than I have clothes with which to pad them.

With less than 3 days until I leave, I'm starting to panic, because if I don't put something in that suitcase soon, I'll be going to Taiwan with just my brother's and my notebook computers!

No comments: