2007-02-04

Bloody Blood Diamond

Two movie tickets were about to expire, so I took the night off and went to movies with my coworker. I'm not really one for war movies (Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, etc.), but I actually really liked Blood Diamond.

No spoilers, but just a few post-movie thoughts:
  • Okay, the ending was rather predictable, but that's okay; it was a good ending, and the one I would've chosen for this film.
  • The movie was focused on the storyline, and didn't stray off too much to preach about politics and conflicts. Yay! "Just enough truth" to provide a realistic setting.
  • ...But the brutality and goriness weren't any easier to watch. (What, I'm just not very good with savageness.)
  • Leonardo DiCaprio is quite good in this movie. He does a fantastic African accent when meeting with the colonel near the beginning of the film. Physically he's filled in a bit, in the face and torso, losing the chubby look he was sporting a few years back. So he looks more mature now, instead of the young pretty boy he was before (Titanic, Man in the Iron Mask).
The movie was quite heavy. I guess I personally was opting for the lighter Night at the Museum, but I'm glad I watched this one; I really enjoyed it.

Although, I don't know that the movie will dissuade many people from buying their sparkly engagement rings....

No comments: