2005-03-03

It's a miracle!

Yikes, been on a bit of a blogging hiatus. It's a miracle that I finally got off my duff and started this blog.

In fact, it *did* take a miracle. More specifically: miracle fruit. Something I'd heard about in passing once, while sitting at a travel agency with my mother, flipping through a magazine. But this is real, and I got to try it over the holidays last month.

Miracle fruit is an oval red berry, no larger than an almond, whose shrubbish tree rarely grows higher than 5 feet outside its native tropical west Africa. The pit is rather like a small peanut, and the berry itself is rather tasteless.

It is always served with lemon or lime.

This is because sour turns sweet after eating a miracle fruit. Yes, I'll say it again: after having a miracle fruit, the lime wedges I ate tasted sweet. The citrussy flavour was still present, but its sourness was almost completely gone, resulting in a yummy limeade fruit!

Apparently, rubbing the flesh of the berry over the tastebuds causes this change in sensation, and limes and sour key candies will taste sweet for some 30 minutes.

Trippy. It's almost like being on drugs.

Here are some miraculously fruity facts.

No comments: