2004-10-24

Imprisoned!

Today is my first real day off. I've packed everything I can pack for my move, and I've fulfilled all my obligations. Mom is off for a few days, so today is my first day of freedom, to wander about Taipei as I please.

Today is also the first day of a typhoon. It is raining buckets, and the wind is howling. While it's nowhere like a hurricane, it's still dangerous to be outside in this weather. Work has been cancelled in 9 cities of northern Taiwan, declared a typhoon holiday.

I can see rain being blown almost horizontal and several tv antennae being toppled on the lowrise buildings around us. The wind and rain are tremendous, but being situated in a basin surrounded by mountains, this is about as exciting as it gets for a typhoon here (except for flooding). Out in the countryside, where there is no shield, incredible things can happen.

And so on my first day of complete freedom, I am imprisoned in the apartment. :( The morning was spent cleaning the kitchen, where rain had dripped through the fumehood like a leaky condo. *sigh*

No comments: