2004-04-02

Being frugal is okay by me; I'm certainly one to save a penny. But like many traits, frugality can be annoying when taken to the extreme.

I used to organise a volleyball tournament up at SFU for Applied Science students - it was one of the highlights each term: I'm proud to say it was a popular tourney and the participants always had fun.

Enter D, the same guy I mentioned here, who also asked for a bowl of tripe when he didn't find any in his $5 bowl of Vietmanese noodles. D, with whom I play vball, is always looking to get the most out of his dollar, even at the sacrifice of sportsmanship (read: sandbagging).

Last week, I was infuriated to learn that D entered a team into the AppSci tourney and that they won the movie admissions tickets. What's more is that they paid $2/person entry fee - the "AppSci" team fee. Not a big deal? Well, what gets me:

1) they weren't even eligible to enter at all (not one person on the team was an SFU student),
2) much less AppSci (to get the AppSci team rate),
3) and most of all, they practically stole the prizes away from eligible teams!

Absolutely disgusting.