2009-04-26

Iron Ring irony

After our run this morning, a woman in my running group commented, "Oh, you're an engineer, too," indicating the Iron Ring on my right hand.

I always say that the stainless steel Iron Ring on my pinkie is a reminder of the hardest thing I've ever done: the many years of suffering through my engineering education. It's true. Those were some very gruelling years. I think I must've developed my people skills during university, in order to beg, borrow, and steal my way to that parchment. :P

The Iron Ring reminds me of the oath I took (goofy as the ritual was) to do my best in all my endeavours, and to mind my humility.

That's what I tell people.

But, today, something made me pause.

Subconsciously, I probably wear my Iron Ring because it's the only thing I've ever toughed out, the only major accomplishment I can be proud of when I look back on my 32 years. Even if engineering wasn't the right direction for me, sheer determination got me through and earned me the "right" to wear this ring.

Ironically, I regret not switching career paths looooong ago; in fact, I shouldn't have ever entered engineering, not to mention finished it. The only major achievement of my life, and I regret it. Ironic, eh?

The irony of my Iron Ring.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's never too late to follow your dreams. Hugs. :)

Naomi said...

Thanks! :)
It's like a hug from behind: no idea who it is! :P