2007-01-16

Drive often?

I must say, I am rather surprised at how many poor drivers there are in Taiwan. I expect that bad traffic conditions would actually hone your driving skills, but that's not what I observe here.

It's amazing how many drivers don't know their own cars. I'm not talking about people who drive once a month, borrowing their parents' car. I'm referring to people who drive every day, some commuting over half an hour to/from work.

The actual driving part is already bad enough, but in comparison, the parking skills - horRENdous. Especially parallel parking. Even with the help of rear bumper radar sensors! One might argue that spaces are smaller in Taiwan, but the starting position and approach angle are wrong altogether. And I've seen equally unimpressive attempts at parallel parking with ample working space.

Sometimes it makes me want to pull the driver out from behind the wheel and park the car myself. Unfortunately, courtesy forces me to suppress my impatience and groan silently to myself. ("Groan silently" - oxymoron?)

No comments: