2004-12-15

A little means a lot.

Sometimes, it's the little things that inspire you.

On our way up to Taipei last Friday night, the coach was full as usual, and not wanting to wait for the next bus meant that my brother and I resigned to standing in the aisle for the 1.5-hour ride. Thankfully, it was nowhere near as crowded as our ride 2 weeks prior, and the highway wasn't a huge traffic jam.

At the mid-point town, a few seats opened up, and tired after a week's work, I scrambled for a seat near me, and hoped my brother would be able to find another one.

And that's when I noticed an old man a few feet back, still standing in the aisle. Stricken with guilt, I stood up again and offered him my seat.

"No no, it's okay; I'm getting off in a bit. You go ahead. But thank you."

I sunk back into the seat. I felt a little guilty thinking that, "Yay, I get to keep my seat! I offered, he declined, so it all works out!" That's terrible, N; you can't offer, half hoping they'll decline! Tsk tsk.

But that wasn't what made me glad to do it. A couple of stops later, the old man gathered up his belongings. And as he headed toward the front to get off, he turned to me and thanked me again for offering my seat.

It's the little things.

No comments: