2003-10-09

I have an access card, I have a key. But really, I am an idiot in the lab. I come in here under the pretence of doing preliminary work for my project, but I check my e-mail, surf the Net, and use the free telephone. I sit nearest the lab phone, so I answer with my courteous "Communication Networks Lab". Sometimes it'll be the typical "Is So-and-so there?", but on those unlucky occasions, I'll hear the reply "Who is this?" Yes, the professor that runs this lab is a little blunt. It doesn't help that I don't know all the people in this lab, yet, and so I don't always know the person for whom she's asking.

Today, she asked for a James. The others around me rushed to my aid and fed me all sorts of info to tell the professor. I think I thoroughly confused her with what was going on and who was telling me what, and then I topped it off by abruptly handing the phone over to James who walked in at that moment (and was pointed out by my peer).

I gotta get a login for a machine a little further ....

No comments: